Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter
- At the invitation of His Excellency Pierre Nkurunziza, President of the Republic of Burundi, His Excellency Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed (Farmajo), President of the Federal Republic of Somalia paid a working visit to the Republic of Burundi on the 18-19th of February 2019. The visit is aimed at consolidating bilateral, political, security and historical cooperation between the two countries.
- Upon arrival at the Bujumbura International Airport at the head of a high-level delegation President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed was warmly greeted by his counterpart of Burundi, HE Pierre Nkurunziza accompanied by senior officials of Burundi.
- President Pierre Nkurunziza has hosted a banquet dinner in honor of the visiting President and his delegation. Prior to the banquet dinner, the Ministers of Defense and the Chiefs of Defense for both countries held a bilateral meeting in an atmosphere of utmost cordiality and warmth that has always characterized the close and friendly relations between the Federal Republic of Somalia and Burundi, and the common commitment to fight against terrorism.
- On the second day of the visit, President Mohamed Abdullah Mohamed and President Pierre Nkurunziza held wide-ranging discussions on issues of mutual interest including current bilateral relations and future prospects, and initiatives to accelerate the implementation of the agreements already reached. The two presidents condemned Al Shabab attacks in Somalia and beyond, expressing serious concern at the ongoing threat posed by Al Shabab.
- His Excellency Pierre Nkurunziza, President of the Republic of Burundi, praised the work of the People and Government of Somalia in the pursuit of the quest for peace and security in Somalia. His Excellency Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed commended the courageous and professional work of the Burundian soldiers within AMISOM who sacrifice themselves so that the Somali People enjoy a lasting peace.
- The two Heads of State urge the full implementation of the conclusions agreed in Nairobi and in Addis Ababa in line with the Somali Transition Plan. In this regard the two presidents agreed to carry out operations against Al Shabaab as soon as possible as part of the implementation of the STP and to allow the Somali security institutions and forces to build their capacities. The Presidents request that the AU continues to ensure that AMISOM is reconfigured to conduct the full range of mandated tasks effectively, including improving operational coordination with Somali National Armed Forces. The two Heads of State agreed to call an urgent Summit of Heads of State and Government of the AMISOM Troop Contributing Countries (TCC).
- Finally, His Excellency Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, President of the Federal Republic of Somalia congratulated Burundi for being elected as a member of the African Union Peace and Security Council for the next three years and expressed his gratitude to the Government and People of Burundi for the warmth and generous hospitality extended to him and to his delegation during the visit and extended an invitation to President Pierre Nkurunziza to pay an official visit to Somalia on a mutually convenient date.
Done this 19th Day of February 2019 at Bujumbura, Republic of Burundi
Did you like this? Share it: